Saturday, May 28, 2011

Summer Time

Summer time to most is the time when the "kids" (K-12) get out of school and don't have school until the following August.  This time has once again come, Britt's sister, Brooke, graduated from high school, last Sunday and Blake is on his last summer break! I however, as a student at an accelerated college program, will not get break until June, but it's only for 2 weeks. I really look forward to the 2 weeks that I have off every 11 weeks!  December can't seem to come fast enough, it will be nice to do what I LOVE and FINALLY get paid, not that I am complaining, however, it will just be nice to see the hard work and 3 years of my life pay off with a nice paycheck!  Operation Dave Ramsey will be in full swing at that point, well technically we are starting in September, following the wedding. I can't wait to be debt free and save for a down payment on a house!  It will be nice to enjoy the "Joys of Home Ownership" and not be in crazy amounts of debt up to our neck!   Here is our plan as of now:
1) Pay off our credit cards- currently we are estimating that this will take us about 1 year or so to pay off!
2) Pay off the vehicles, Britt and I both have very BIG car loans, we have just traded and traded and then didn't realize what we were doing by putting our upside "downness" into another vehicle until we met Dave!  We are planning on keeping our vehicles that we have now and paying them off.  I unfortunately had to buy a new car May 1st, I felt like a failure, I only have 3.5 years left on my old Kia note, but the transmission kept messing up and so every time we turned around we had to take it to the shop for them to find "nothing wrong", so we decided with the amount of driving that I was doing weekly to clinicals and back it was important for me to have a vehicle that was reliable and not always having to go to the shop for random transmission problems.  So now we have a '11 Kia Sorento--  LOVE IT, so much better than the last model, and then we have Britt's '08 GMC Sierra, we are hoping to have these both paid off within 2/3 years.
3) Save for a down payment on a house, Dave says you should save up at least 10% for a down payment, but maybe 20%, so we are hoping to have $15,000-$20,000 in 1 year to put down on a home loan.

This should set us up pretty good for our future, we don't want to bring children into our marriage unless we are financially stable, and if we need something for the child we wouldn't be able to provide it because we have a credit card to pay or a car loan to pay.  Though we may not completely be free of both car loans, or we may have to rent for the first year of a child's life, it is better than worrying about where we are going to get the money for a bill or an expense, at this point we are thinking we should be in at a good point in about 2/3 years to begin parenthood process.  I guess we will see!!

I will update with some pictures as soon as Britt is finished editing them!  
Here are some pictures from Brooke's Graduation:
It's official she is a high school graduate

I love this picture

Brooke was a LITTLE excited!

Britt's Family, minus me, I was the photographer :)



No comments:

Post a Comment