Sunday, June 5, 2011

Permanent Retainer.... Not So Much!

The weather in Kansas is currently hot, but so beautiful, now if I could just get outside and get a tan, I would love it even more. Anyways, this weekend was a pretty productive weekend, I made 5 bows yesterday while taking care of customers at work, I guess if there is one thing I love about work, it is the fact that I don't have to use my hands the entire time I'm on the phone, I can answer a general amount of questions and make some bows without typing on the computer!  I was suppose to work today, and had full intentions to, however my retainer decided it would come off of my teeth. 

I had braces when I was in the 7th grade and was one of the lucky ones that only had to have them for a short period of time (10 months) and only on my 6 front bottom teeth.  My Orthodontist, Dr. O., puts in permanent retainers when the braces come off, basically it's a piece of wire, cemented to the back of my teeth.  I have broken 2 of them until today I upped my number to 3.  I was getting ready for church this morning, and was flossing my teeth, when my floss got stuck.  Now, flossing with a retainer is not so fun,  you have to get special floss and then you have to floss on the bottom underneath the wire and then above the wire, so its pretty much double the work.  When my floss got stuck I pulled on it trying to get it, undone (it constantly gets stuck) and my retainer came off of three teeth, leaving a wire sticking straight up. 

I have been really bad at wearing my plastic retainers, I haven't probably haven't put it in, in well over a year, so I had to go searching for it, and found it outside in the storage closet in a box!  Great place for it eh?  I decided to not to go to work, my retainer really hurts my teeth, the plastic one pretty much moves my teeth back into braces mode, and I talk with a pretty bad lisp and I really can't eat anything unless it's soft.

Every time I go in for my 6 month cleaning my dentist always says she would like to take it out, she said its grounds for plaque and bacteria.  Well she is going to get the pleasure of removing it tomorrow!I think 3 "permanent" retainers with in a period of 13 years is a little excessive, I will just have to get used to wearing my plastic retainer again!

One of the bows I made yesterday!





No comments:

Post a Comment